Carrickmacross is a town in County Monaghan within driving distance of Dundalk. It had a population of 5,066 (including rural area) according to provisional data from the 2006 census.
The town won the prestigious European Entente Florale Silver Medal Award. It is a market town which developed around a Castle built by the Earl of Essex in 1630. The Convent of the St. Louis Nuns now stands on the original castle site. The local Gaelic football and Hurling club is Carrickmacross Emmets.
The Nuns were largely responsible for the revival of lace-making skills in the region and the Carrickmacross Lace Co-operative has been instrumental in keeping the tradition alive today. This lace may be purchased at The Gallery Centre where demonstrations of this skill can be given by prior request.
One of the most imposing buildings in the town is the Roman Catholic church which was completed in 1866. Of particular significance in the church are the ten beautiful stained-glass windows which were designed by the renowned artist Harry Clarke in 1925.
|< Prev||Next >|